Research Projects Undertaken
Millets: Nature’s Nutri-Grain -2022-2023
- To sensitize students towards millet production and its economics in the market.
- To help students understand various Government schemes and promotions with respect to millet production and processing.
- To help students understand the current aspects related to millets in Maharashtra and develop a plan to improve the production and processing of Millets in the state.
- Millets are one of the oldest foods, these are the small-seeded hardy crops that can grow well in dry zones or rain-fed areas under marginal conditions of soil fertility and moisture. Millets are cultivated in low-fertile land, tribal and rain-fed and mountainous areas. Millets are termed the ‘miracle grains’ or ‘crops of the future’ as they can not only grow under harsh circumstances but are drought-resistant crops that require fewer external inputs.
- Millets can not only grow in poor climatic or soil conditions and provide nutritious grain as well as fodder, but these can also very well fit into multiple cropping systems under irrigation as well as dryland farming due to their short growing season. The prolonged and easy storability of millets under ordinary conditions has given them the status of Famine Reserves.
- This feature is of great importance for India, as our country's agriculture suffers from unexpected monsoon changes.
- Management students should be aware of the various businesses that are associated with Millets and the first step toward this mammoth task will be in terms of sensitizing the youth.
- Youth is the immense power of strength and creativity with the right guidance, creativity, and innovation, they can be directed towards generating awareness for millets and Businesses associated with Millets.
- A research study on this subject will help sensitize students and will help in understanding the Millet economy, along with the sustainable practices associated with Millet. Through this research, students will be able to propose action points to overcome the challenges faced by Maharashtra state to produce and promote millets.
SugamSarita – Know your rivers - 2021-22
- To sensitize students towards the river and its relationship with ecology and economics.
- To understand and Map various rivers and its river bank in terms of the economic values
- To map the waste and pollutants in rivers.
- To determine waste points and link with industrial development
- From ancient times rivers have been a source of development for mankind. As the development changes with the industrial revolution the eternal connection with rivers is getting weaker day by day.
- Today most of the rivers are suffering challenges like climate change, urbanization, industrial waste and pollution. The river ecology is at stake and the impact is in reduced aquatic life and almost non present water transportation. The only way to make the river life lines again is to restore the lost glory.
- Using Survey method, this research is carried out to sensitize students towards the river and its relationship with ecology and economics. And also to understand and Map various rivers and their river banks in terms of their economic values.
Entrepreneurship Development –2021-22
- To encourage student to opt Entrepreneurship as a career option
- To assist student to start a new Enterprise
- As a pioneer institute in management education, DES's IMDR is committed to groom the students to serve the industry. Along with making the students corporate ready, IMDR is constantly making efforts to promote Entrepreneurship among its students. Many steps have been taken in this direction, first among which is the establishment of the Institution Innovation Council (IIC) registered with the Ministry of Education. IIC is a community of staff and students of IMDR which constantly organizes activities towards development of Entrepreneurship among its students.
- Also to support the budding ideas to be converted into successful business ventures, IMDR in association with Fergusson College has set up an Incubation Centre, named after the founder director of IMDR. The centre is called "Dr. P.C. Shejwalkar Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation". This centre offers ideation labs, IPR support centre, Expert services in all business domains, the centre will also support the student incubates in raising funds for their ventures and provide mentorship and networking opportunities.
- IMDR annually hosts Business Plan Competition to provide a platform to the business ideas, which can then be supported by various means available with Institute as well as Incubation centre. Business Plan competition also provides an opportunity to network with other participants and share learnings from the journey.
- IMDR has also started three Entrepreneurship Labs Namely Sustainable Farming Lab, 3D Printing Lab, Digital Marketing Lab. These labs are aimed to provide the experiential learnings for running a business venture in the domains.
- Apart from above, IMDR has also started a minor specialization in Entrepreneurship and Start-up Management, with an objective of providing technical know- how for starting a business, and to encourage more and more number of students to take up entrepreneurship as a preferred choice.
Performance Analysis and Perception Assessment for Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana – Year 2020-21
- To analyze the performance of the scheme and the state wise disbursement under PMMY.
- To understand the perception of the beneficiaries of PMMY toward the scheme in Pune city of Maharashtra.
- To understand the perception of financial institutions toward the PMMY in Pune city of Maharashtra.
- Financial Inclusion is challenging as much as necessary. For a country ruled by Britishers for about 150 years, who used feats like Divide and Rule, to keep their grounds strong, even to think of providing equality to all is ambitious. However, the difficulty of the roads ahead has never stopped a country like India, to start the journey towards a better tomorrow for all its citizens.
- Among many other schemes aiming at financial inclusion, Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojna stands out, for many reasons, one of which is, it acts as an enabler. For a proud India, an opportunity to earn, a capacity to create wealth for family is bigger than any grant or donation. MUDRA aims to provide wings to those dreams, which may otherwise would never have flown.
- After five years of being launched, we felt that it would be useful to study the perception of the two major categories of stakeholders, i.e., the Borrowers and the Lenders about the MUDRA scheme.
- Their experience will throw light on some challenges faced by them, which can be addressed, to create more impact of PMMY on the intended sect of the society. Survey-based research was conducted to understand the opinion of Borrowers and lenders and a pool of information was generated through 221 beneficiary and 215 financer responses. The research carried out by the students and faculty of DES’s IMDR.
Financial Challenges in Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Year 2019-20
- Understand challenges faced by SMEs in managing their finances on select variables
- Identify key challenges based on an empirical analysis.
- The Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector has been identified as the growth propeller in India and contributes significantly to employment generation, scaling up of manufacturing abilities, balanced regional development and socio-economic empowerment. It is the next major employer after agriculture in the country.
- Therefore, it becomes imperative to study the financial management practices of MSMEs to understand the reason behind their financial difficulties.
- In this research an attempt has been made to study the selected financial variable to understand the effectiveness of the financial management of the MSMEs in Pune City and Pimpri-Chinchwad Area. An attempt has been made to throw a light on the extent of application of various financial management tools in financial decision making by selected MSMEs, which has further paved a way to identify the challenges faced by MSME in managing finance for their enterprise.