Summer Internship is an important element of management education at IMDR Pune. Students are asked to undergo a summer internship programme of two months in May and June after completing first year of PGDM. Students who join PGDM come from diverse academic backgrounds. Most of them do not possess work experience. Therefore Summer Internship becomes critical.
Objectives of Summer Internship are as follows :–
- To ask students to work in an organisation as an employee and get a feel of actual working environment.
- To encourage students for active engagement in the tasks assigned during internship.
- To ask students to study processes which he / she come across and give constructive suggestions.
- To ask students to undertake a project which is mutually beneficial to student and the organisation.
- To help students relate theory with practice.
Students get Internship in various organizations right from BFSI sector to IT & Manufacturing.
Reputed organisations like HDFC Bank, H & R block, Karvy Stock broking, Provilac Milk, Kantar, Mahindra CIE, Kam Avida have regularly recruited students from IMDR.
Those students who work hard get pre placement offers. In 2018 ,eight students got PPOs with decent package from HDFC bank.
Summer Internship gives an opportunity to recruiters to see potential of a candidate and accordingly they can choose right candidate. In internship a candidate works in an organisation for two months and company people can observe him for a long duration than half an hour’s interview. This would be an innovative way of recruiting people.
Getting a job is not the only goal of SIP it is an academic process. Students get hands on experience through Internship and can choose right kind of specialization in second year and shape their own career. They can test their strengths and overcome weaknesses by involving themselves in the given job. Ultimately it is a learning process. It improves capability of student to learn subjects easily in second year.
Summer Internship is having a weightage of 300 marks equivalent to three theory subjects.